Interstate: Moving Across State Lines
When you hire a moving company to move across state lines, you have rights and responsibilities as set forth by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA):
Visit the FMCSA for Required Consumer Protection Information
- FMCSA Brochure: Your Rights and Responsibilities When You Move
- FMCSA Brochure: Ready To Move?
- FMCSA Website: fmsca.dot.gov
Intrastate: Moving Within the State of New Jersey
The regulation of public movers and warehousemen is part of the Regulated Business Section of the New Jersey Division of Consumer Affairs. Visit the NJ Division of Consumer Affairs to verify your mover is operating legally and for other vital Consumer Protection Information.
- Important Notice To Consumers Using Public Movers and Warehousemen
- NJ Division of Consumer Affairs Public Movers and Warehousemen
- Know the Dangers of Using Unlicensed Movers
- New Jersey Warehouse & Movers Association
More Resources & Tips
Whether Moving In State or Across the Country, visit Movers for Consumers for more Information on navigating a Move. Also visit the Better Business Bureau to learn more about business accreditation and ratings.